There are several playable races in Shadowfall, coming from all walks of life and from all over the world.
- Humans – Tenacious and persistent, humans have fought against extinction many times.
- Lycanthropes – One of the first Shadowfallen to appear, they were feared as apex predators, hunting in the darkened woods and stealing the careless away into the night.
- Vampires – Mortal men and women who gave themselves to the Shadows willingly, to avoid death. They carry an endless hunger for the blood of the living.
- Imps – Demon-like beings that thrived on chaos, often breaking or sabotaging things for their own amusement. They were rumored to steal naughty children away and eat them in ancient folklore.
- Goblins – Selfish and greedy beings, they are enamored with machines and their functions. Goblins would steal aught they needed to survive in a world that hated them. They believe wholly in the 'God in the Machine'.
- Orcs – The result of a human and ogre breeding, which is rarely a happy affair; Orcs are taller, stronger, and more pronounced in their features. They are often misunderstood or outcast from society, and there are usually so few around that they never form any sort of community.